Thursday, February 4, 2016

Nearpod

       Nearpod is an app that you can use in your classroom to present lessons and assess student learning. The app allows you to create and design lessons based on your curriculum directly from you iPad or iPhone. Nearpod also contains premade lessons that you can purchase or download for free. The Nearpod app has recently updated its database of lessons to include Common Core lessons that are already made and ready to be used. After the lesson is selected, the teacher can send the lesson to the students devices. Students can complete the lesson independently or they can actually follow along with the teacher as she is teaching the lesson in a whole group setting. The application will also allow you send assessments directly to their devices and when they are complete, the teacher can get immediate feedback of their performance and understanding.
       I have not used this application in my classroom, mostly because we are not a BYOD school, but the possibilities are endless. If I did incorporate this into my classroom, I would use it in math. In a math lesson, I could teach the lesson to the students with them seeing it on their devices and then I would give them a problem from the lesson to work on their own. They would have to submit the problem to me on my device and I could see if they had mastered the skill I taught. I would then choose student responses to share with the class. This is a great way to show how students solve problems in different ways. Another way I would plan to use this in a classroom would be a in small group setting. I would push a close reading activity to each device and allow students to closely read and code the text on their devices. I would then share student responses with other students to show examples of "thinking" through the text and coding the text. Nearpod is a great app that is user friendly and a great way to engage students into an interactive lesson.

Resources:
http://corkboardconnections.blogspot.com/2014/02/nearpod.html
http://www.nearpod.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment