Thursday, January 14, 2016

Future Smartphones Won’t Need Cell Towers to Connect

After reading the article (see link below), I am even more impressed with technology than I was before. More so than that, I am happy I now know what the LTE symbol that pops up on my phone from time to time actually is LOL! This article discussed in detail the use of a new feature being added to the LTE protocol that our cellphones use now. This feature will allow our phones to communicate with other devices and "beacons" placed in businesses, etc. without the use of the cell phone tower. The LTE Direct will reach farther than even wi-fi or blue tooth. Many companies are experimenting with the LTE Direct and having success. The LTE direct will allow your smartphone to automatically recognize businesses, etc. which may play a big part in advertising for businesses in the future. Another positive feature of the LTE Direct is that it uses very little power, so it won't drain your battery very quickly. The LTE device will direct information from device to device. It could be used at the airports to broadcast to your phone flight delays, at stores to advertise sales/coupons, and some companies are even working to develop apps that use the LTE Direct, like Yahoo. The LTE Direct will do similar things that wifi and blue tooth do now, but the LTE will be able to do it with a longer range and better performance.

I'm wondering if my "RetailMeNot" app is using an LTE Direct because I always get a message from the app and it send me coupons based upon the store I am in at the time. I think this is all very cool information. Technology is pretty cool!

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/530996/future-smartphones-wont-need-cell-towers-to-connect/

No comments:

Post a Comment