Saturday, January 23, 2016

3D Printing

        3D printing and Rapid Prototyping both build models by building layer by layer from STL data to create a 3D object. However, they are different in some aspects. 3D printing uses smallers parts, they operate on an 8 inch scale, while Rapid Prototyping operates on a 10 inch scale. 3D printing is also cheaper, Rapid Prototyping can cost 2X as much as 3D printing. 3D printers are also easier to maintain and they require less materials. 3D printers are also less complex to use, while Rapid Prototyping can be very complex.
       The 3D printer can be used in the classroom in many ways. For example, the engineering student can print out models to study and work with. The biology classroom may printout cross sections of the heart for students to study. The history classroom may printout artifacts to study closer, with more detail. Finally, the geography classroom can printout topography maps to study in depth. In the elementary classroom, where I teach, I can think of many exciting ways to use the 3D printer. In math I teach area and perimeter. I could have my students design their buildings on graph paper, and then print them in 3D. When I teach my unit on 3D shapes, they could design something using the shapes and print them out in a 3D image. In writing, my students could design a character as they write a narrative story. They could then print out their designed character to bring the character to life. Finally, if I had a 3D printer and software, I would be most excited about using the printer to solve real life problems. I would present my students with a problem and then let them design something that could be a solution to the problem. For example, I may tell the students that they need to design something that they can use to cover their test papers in the classroom to prevent cheating. The students would then use the software to design an item and then print it using the 3D printer.
       There are numerous things that can be done with a 3D printer in regards to education. A 3D printer brings a child's work to life, it makes their learning experience real and meaningful. In the 21st century classroom, a 3D printer would be a great addition to the learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment