Saturday, January 16, 2016

Diversity, Cultural Understanding, & Global Awareness

As we live in a time when technology brings people together faster than ever, it is important to understand that we are all different and learn in different ways. As an educator, I have to teach my students to embrace the cultural differences and be respectful as we all learn together. As far as technology goes, I think that etiquette is very important in regards to diversity and cultural differences. All students need to be taught how to use the internet and other technological devices correctly and respectfully.
                I will model and promote diversity in my class by helping my students understand that different is not bad, that each person has something unique to add to the lesson and the learning. As a teacher, I can use tools such as Skype, virtual field trips, etc. to show my students different cultures, races, economic status, etc. My students have taken virtual field trips to schools in Japan, Plymouth Plantation, etc. These experiences make the events real to them, and they gain an understanding that I don't believe they would gain by just reading about these things. There are also applications and websites where students can study and learn about different cultures. I believe if students are taught about other beliefs/cultures, they will respect them. In my classroom, I teach Chinese New Year, Christmas around the World, Cinco De Mayo, etc. most students find these cultures very interesting and they are always respectful.

                There are several tools that are available to allow educators to communicate with parents, peers, students both in town and across the globe. I think blogging is a great way to model communication and diversity. My class has blogged with classes in other countries, cities, and states. The students love to share their beliefs and personal stories. Also, Skype and other video conferencing programs are a great way to connect with others globally. Social Networking is another great tool that can be used for communication. Technology has made it possible to connect with schools and students across the globe. The learning that takes place when you can show your students “real life” is better than any text book could accomplish. My goal as an educator is for my students to be culturally aware and respectful, and technology makes this task very easy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment